The war memorial in the Church is in the form of a roll of honour in an oak frame. The oak frame was given to the church by Elise Steward, the widow of Campbell Steward, at the same time as she donated a chancel screen in his memory in 1925.
There are seven more men remembered on this memorial than on the village war memorial. This memorial is dedicated to men who were connected with the village and not just to those who lived in the village.
It is difficult now to understand what criteria was used to decide whose names were recorded on the village memorial. Bertie English, had emigrated to Canada, and Sydney Waters to Australia before joining the Canadian and Australian Forces and yet they are on the main memorial.
Some of the men on the Church memorial seem to have had very tenuous links to the village in particular George Albert Jenkins, Frank Rix and Frederick Back, who never lived in the village.
It has been a challenge at times to research these men but it has been possible in the end to find their connection to people who lived in the village.
If you wish to visit this memorial, St. Mary’s Church, Saxlingham Nethergate is open daily between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.